Wednesday 31 October 2012

character scruff scruffs and my creative process.

Here are the fist concept ideas for the main characters.  This is really rough work and just my way of coming up with ideas when drawing.  I kept in mind for Portopia that the characters had certain definable characteristics and i wanted that for the characters, they are very individual with completely different features.



I started off by doing some quick thumbnail-like sketches of potential costumes by doing some research (look at previous post).  Thrn i quickly started conducting some quick head sketches to get a feel for the character and play around with shapes that could work for this character.  The American character is on the left and the British character is on the right.  I then have a go at a bigger version of their head, more detailed but unfinished and not very accurate.  You can see that i play round with the nose sizes and shapes,hair, facial hair etc.  I went against giving the American facial hair because i wanted him to look like a cool, sharp, charming and clean, as he is all about charming women.




Here i am figuring out the physicality and costumes of the two characters, making notes around the drawings.  Again it is unfinished but gives me a idea of what they will end up looking like, it also lets me play around and add to areas if i wanted to when i do a final mock up of their physicality and costumes.

The British character is tall, broad, flat ears, larger nose, bigger build/more muscle, more tone/definition, stooped shoulders.
The American character is smaller, leaner, bigger ears, better posture, wonkey nose, not a lot of tone/definition.



Here i am playing around with lighting and style.  This is a less rough but still unfinished drawing of the characters.



Here i am again playing around with style and facial expressions.  For me, it gives me a better idea of how a character would look if they were to act or react to something, if they are a very emotional person or uptight.


Here is the final costume and head mock ups of the two characters done with a fine liner pen and copic markers, touched up on Painter 12.  The two bottom final heads were unfinished when i inked them.  I have a tendency to never finish my pencil drawings.




No comments:

Post a Comment