Thursday 14 February 2013

BA5 - UDK is a massive pain.

I have gone on to use UDK for the first time and i have found it so hard and frustrating to work with.  I have worked on it for 7 hours, Maya crashing on me 4 times, redoing all my work on UDK 3 times, changing my UV mapping twice and i am still unable to do a animation video clip in UDK. Also with the lack of time and being constantly frustrated and fed up i have been unable to work on the textures as they look horribly saturated in UDK with the resolution so low and nasty looking and i haven't put all the components together in UDK of my desk and its accessories.

Jess made some really helpful notes on how to import 3D models from Maya to UDK and apply textures and collision meshes. Link to her blog can be found here. I also received a lot of help from my classmates; im extremely grateful for their help!!! Im so hopeless and unlucky with technology.

Even though the model looks nasty pasty in UDK.  I have applied a collision mesh to it and it is technically function-able.  I also plan on making it look awesome in Maya when i render it out; hopefully my technically ability in Maya shows off better than in UDK....seems like i like making things look pretty rather than be practical. Should have been a fashion student in that respect.

I am generally unhappy about the work in UDK.  I did a a lot and learned a lot in Maya not realizing that it would be as difficult and as painful as it was to put everything into UDK.  It sounds pretty straight forward; import the model, assign the textures, apply a collision mesh and some lighting.  But of course, it is never easy as that. And with my luck, everything takes twice as long. Last years task in Maya was a terrible one; took for ever and had a poor result.

I know that the model works in UDK, but some reason i am unable to make a .mov in the software. The last thing i want to do is start all over again. Especially if it then goes on to not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment